Gain management expertise through a broad and flexible course of study aimed at turning you into a leader.
Today, many business, government, public service, and technical environments require knowledge of management principles from multiple disciplines. University of Maryland Global Campus' Bachelor of Science in management studies can help you gain that expertise through a course of study focused on decision making, problem solving, and leadership.
About the Management Studies Bachelor's Degree
In your core management studies courses, you'll focus on management principles and organizational dynamics for today's global, multicultural, and multinational organizations. You'll also benefit from a full spectrum of related business courses, including statistics, business writing, marketing, finance, and organizational behavior.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Apply leadership skills to promote communication, ethical behavior, and quality performance
- Implement employment practices, encourage team building, and mentor junior staff members
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse audiences using a variety of formats and technologies
- Assess and develop performance measures, feedback, and coaching that facilitates employee development
- Employ self-reflection and mindfulness of individual and cultural differences when interacting with others
- Research, plan, and develop processes and procedures that ensure organizational performance
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Create a management or a leadership plan
- Create decision matrices, balanced scorecards, and appraisal performance reviews for an organization
- Conduct a fishbone analysis and an internal and external environmental scan
Management Studies Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
This program requires 33 credits of coursework in the major.
- BMGT 110
- ACCT 301 or ACCT 220
- BMGT 364
- BMGT 365
- BMGT 464 or BMGT 465
- BMGT 317
- BMGT 305 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 304 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 484 or any upper-level ACCT, BMGT, FINC, HRMN, or MRKT course
- BMGT 496
- BMGT 485
Related Required Courses
The following may be applied to general education or elective requirements:
- ECON 201 or ECON 203
- IFSM 300
- STAT 200
This program requires 46 credits of minor and/or elective coursework.
General Education Requirements
UMGC outlines the options available to fulfill the 41 credits of general education coursework for bachelor's degrees on the General Education Requirements webpage.
In addition to the major, elective, and general education courses and requirements outlined on this page, please review the overall bachelor's degree requirements.
This program is designed to help prepare you for an entry-level management position in business, government, public service, and technical environments. It will also help prepare experienced managers or midcareer professionals who are looking to advance their career.