Gain the analytical, critical, and communication skills to help you succeed in graduate study or an in-demand career by pursuing a bachelor's degree in English.
A Bachelor of Arts in English at University of Maryland Global Campus offers a solid base of critical thinking on which to build a career or further graduate study. In this program, you will hone In-demand skills in research and writing that have a wide application in the job market. If you are intrigued by literature, the English major may be right for you.
This program is also available as a minor.
Students who complete this program may be eligible to reduce their total coursework for the Master of Arts in Teaching by 12 credits.
About the English Bachelor's Degree
In the English bachelor's degree program, you'll study literature and writing, improving your cultural literacy and your ability to recognize and appreciate great works of literature. By following a critical approach to the study of literature, you'll learn to articulate ideas with clarity, conduct original research, and convey complex information in logical, accessible language.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Demonstrate knowledge of a range of English-language literary texts, genres, and terms
- Analyze literary texts to explain stylistic, historical, sociocultural, and ethical significance
- Apply critical theory to literary texts to enhance interpretation and analysis
- Conduct effective research across a range of media
- Create writing that effectively argues, persuades, illuminates, and/or informs
- Create presentations in various media to demonstrate the results of academic inquiry
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Write proposals amd prepare presentations and other academic writing using primary and secondary texts
- Prepare a biocritical essay on an author and the author's work
- Add a voiceover to a map of different regions of the United States, illustrating how pronunciation changes throughout the region
English Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
This program requires 33 credits of coursework in the major.
- ENGL 240
- ENGL 281
- ENGL 303
- ENGL 386 or any upper-level ENGL course
- ENGL 310
- ENGL 311 or any upper-level ENGL course
- ENGL 312 or any upper-level ENGL course
- ENGL 430
- ENGL 433
- ENGL 441 or any upper-level ENGL course
- ENGL 495
This program requires 46 credits of minor and/or elective coursework. We recommend EDTP 500 and EDTP 535 if you are qualified to take those courses and are planning to enter the Master of Arts in Teaching program. Note the prerequisites for these courses and contact an advisor before registering.
General Education Requirements
UMGC outlines the options available to fulfill the 41 credits of general education coursework for bachelor's degrees on the General Education Requirements webpage.
In addition to the major, elective, and general education courses and requirements outlined on this page, please review the overall bachelor's degree requirements.
This program is designed to help prepare you for jobs in education, law, publishing, journalism, public relations, business, and management.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
We recommend you have strong communication and presentation skills.