Skip Navigation
Skip to Menu Toggle Button

Grades and Records

Find information on the grading system and academic records at UMGC Asia.

Grading System

The following symbols are used by UMGC Asia:

GradeInterpretationQuality Points

Outstanding scholarship



Good scholarship



Satisfactory scholarship



Marginal performance






Failure for nonattendance



Grade under review



Passing (D or higher)



Satisfactory (C or higher)









Repeated course






Unless students choose either the pass/fail or audit option at the time of registration, they will be given a letter grade according to the standard method. Under the standard grading method, students are given a grade of A, B, C, D, or F on the basis of their performance in meeting the requirements of each course. For only a very few courses, the standard grading method is replaced by the satisfactory/D/fail method.


Degree-seeking students who have earned 30 credits (including at least 15 credits at UMGC) and who have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher may take one course of up to 6 credits each standard session (fall, spring, or summer) on a pass/fail basis, up to a maximum of 18 credits. Students must elect pass/fail grading at the time of registration. This status may not be changed after the second week of classes has ended for the standard session and after the first week of classes for eight-week sessions. Unfortunately, no exceptions can be made after the deadline to change a student's grading method.

The grading method is allowed only for electives. Required courses (e.g., general education courses and courses for the major and minor) may not be taken pass/fail, nor may pass/fail grading be used in retaking a course for which a letter grade was earned previously.

Students who register for pass/fail grading must still complete all the regular requirements of the course. The teacher evaluates the work under the normal procedures for letter grades and submits a regular grade. Grades of A, B, C, or D are the converted to the grade P, which is entered into the permanent record. A grade of F remains unchanged.

Although a grade of P earns credit toward graduation, it is not included in calculating a grade point average. A failing grade carries no credit, and the failing grade is included in the computation of grade point averages.


This grading method is available only on a limited basis. Although a grade of satisfactory (S) earns credit toward graduation, it is not included in computing grade point averages. The grade of D earns credit and is included in computing grade point averages. While a failing grade (F) earns no credit, it is included in computing grade point averages.


Students who do not wish to receive credit may register for courses as auditors after being admitted. Students must indicate this intention when they register. Students may request a change from credit to audit status during the first week of classes in an eight-week session. Auditing students do not have to complete course assignments, but may choose to do so in order to receive faculty feedback on their work. Unfortunately, no exceptions can be made after the deadline to change a student's grading method.

Audited courses are listed on the permanent record, with the notation AU. No letter grade is given for audited courses, nor are credits earned. Auditors pay the same fees as those taking the course(s) for credit.

Passing: The Grade of P

The grade of P is posted after a teacher has evaluated coursework under the normal procedure for letter grades and has submitted a standard grade (A, B, C, or D). The Undergraduate Grades Office than converts that standard grade into the grade of P.

A passing grade is recorded on the permanent record and confers credit toward graduation. However, courses graded P are not included in calculating grade point averages.

Satisfactory: The Grade of S

The grade of S is used when a satisfactory (S)/substandard (D)/failure (F) grading system applies. The grade of S is equivalent to a grade of C or higher. This grade is used to denote satisfactory progress in an experiential setting or practicum, such as EXCL 301. Although the grade of S confers credit and appears on the permanent record, courses graded S are not used in determining grade point average.

Marginal Performance: The Grade of D

The grade of D is the minimum passing grade and denotes borderline understanding of the subject. Only a limited amount of coursework in which the grade of D has been earned can be applied toward a degree. For additional information, students should refer to specific certificate and degree requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog. Most colleges and universities will not accept transfer courses in which a D has been earned.

Failure: The Grade of F

The grade of F means a failure to satisfy the minimum requirements of a course. Although it carries no credit, it is included in calculating the grade point average. A student assigned the grade of F must register again for the course, pay the applicable fees, repeat the course, and earn a passing grade in order to receive credit for that course. The military services require that students receiving tuition assistance reimburse the government if they receive the grade of F.

Failure for Nonattendance: The Grade of FN

The grade of FN means a failure in the course because the student has not attended or participated in course assignments and activities. It is assigned when the student ceases to attend class but has not officially withdrawn. If a student never attended or attended less than the first 60% of the course, he or she should be assigned an FN. The military services require that students receiving tuition assistance reimburse the government if they receive the grade of FN.

Grade under Review: The Mark of G

The mark of G is an exceptional and temporary administrative mark given only when the final grade in the course is under review. It is not the same as a mark of Incomplete.

Incomplete: The Mark of I

The mark of I (Incomplete) is an exceptional mark given only to students whose work in a course has been satisfactory but who for reasons beyond their control have been unable to complete all the requirements of a course. The following criteria must be met:

  • The student must have completed at least 60 percent of the work in the course with a grade of C or better

  • The incomplete must be requested before the end of the course

The procedure for awarding the mark of I is as follows:

  • The student must ask the faculty member for an incomplete (faculty members cannot award an incomplete on their own initiative)

  • The faculty member decides whether to grant the request

  • If the request is approved, the faculty member will determine a deadline within four months (maximum 120 days) of the last day of the semester or term during which the course was attempted.

  • The faculty member and the student together agree on the remaining requirements of the course and the deadline for submitting the work. The faculty member will notify the student of this assigned deadline in writing.

  • The student is responsible for completing the work.

  • After the work is completed, the faculty member submits a grade change to replace the mark of I on the student's record with the grade the student earned.

If the mark of I is not made up by the agreed-upon deadline (which is not to exceed the maximum time allowed after submission of the original grade), the I is changed to an F. Students should be aware that a mark of I in their final semester may delay graduation.

Students should refer to UMGC policy 170.71 "Policy on Grade of Incomplete and Withdrawal" for details.

The mark of I cannot be removed by means of credit by examination, and it cannot be replaced by a mark of W (defined below). Students who elect to repeat an incomplete course must register again for the course, pay the full tuition and applicable fees, and repeat the course. For purposes of academic retention, the course grade is counted as an F. The mark of I is not used in determining grade point averages.

Withdrawal: The Mark of W

Students may receive the mark of W by officially withdrawing from a course. Ceasing to attend class does not constitute an official withdrawal. The W can be posted only when a student drops a course through MyUMGC prior to the last date for withdrawal. See procedures for withdrawing. Students should confirm the last date for withdrawal as the format (online or on-site) or class location (Europe, Asia, Stateside) will determine the official withdrawal dates. For purposes of academic retention, the mark of W is counted as attempted hours. It is not used in determining grade point averages.

Change in Grade

Faculty members may change a grade previously assigned through MyUMGC. Unless extreme exceptions warrant a review; any change must be made no later than four months after the original grade was awarded.

Grading Repeated Courses

When a course is repeated, only the higher grade earned in the two attempts is included in the calculation of the grade point average. For purposes of academic retention, both attempts are counted. Both grades are entered on the permanent record, with a notation indicating that the course was repeated. Students cannot increase the total hours earned toward a degree by repeating a course for which a passing grade was conferred previously.

To establish credit in a course previously failed or withdrawn from, students must register, pay the full tuition and applicable fees, and repeat the entire course successfully.

Repeated Registration for a Course

No student may register more than three times for the same course. Registering more than three times for the same course (including courses previously attempted at other institutions in the University System of Maryland) is generally forbidden. It may be allowed only under certain circumstances, with prior approval of the registrar, Student Services.

Institutional Credit

A course that may not be applied toward graduation may be assigned a credit value for purposes of course load per term and tuition. This institutional credit is included in the grade point average (GPA) and in determining eligibility for financial aid and veterans educational benefits. However, students required to take these courses do so in addition to the 120 units of graduation credit required for the degree.

Calculation Of Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is calculated using the quality points assigned to each grade (see list below). First, the quality-point value of each grade is multiplied by the number of credits; then the sum of these quality points is divided by the total number of credits attempted for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F/FN was received.

GradeQuality Points










GPAs are computed separately for each degree after the first bachelor's degree. Only courses applied toward a second bachelor's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if the student earned a first degree at UMGC; only courses applied toward a master's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if the student is a graduate of the Undergraduate School at UMGC.

Academic Warning and Dismissal

After the fall, spring, and summer terms, the cumulative grade point average of each student who has attempted at least 15 credits at UMGC is computed based on all UMGC graded coursework. The Sr. Assoc. Registrar's office reviews each student's record and takes action, required by UMGC policy, according to the student's level of progress as described below.

There are four levels of academic progress: satisfactory, warning, probation, and dismissal. Students in warning, probation, or dismissal status are notified of their status approximately three weeks after the end of the term. For students in warning or probation status, this notification is sent via e-mail to their e-mail address of record. For students in dismissal status, notification is sent by letter to their permanent address of record. No notification is sent to students making satisfactory progress.

Levels of Progress


A student whose cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher is considered to be making satisfactory progress.


A student whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 will be placed on academic warning. The student will remain on academic warning as long as the cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 but the reviewed GPA is 2.0 or better.

A student who attempts 15 credits or more in a period of at least two sequential terms and earns no quality points will receive an academic warning regardless of the cumulative GPA.

A student on academic warning whose reviewed GPA is 2.0 or better, but whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, will continue on warning until he or she has completed courses with UMGC that raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or better.


A student on academic warning or admitted on provisional status whose reviewed GPA is less than 2.0 will be put on probation.

A student on probation whose reviewed GPA is 2.0 or better, but whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0, will return to academic warning or provisional status.

A student on academic probation is limited to a maximum enrollment of 7 credits per term (fall, spring, summer).


A student on probation whose reviewed GPA is less than 2.0 will be dismissed.

Regardless of cumulative GPA, a student who has maintained an average of at least 2.0 during a reviewed period will not be dismissed at the end of that period. A student who is dismissed is ineligible to register again for UMGC courses until he or she is reinstated.

Reinstatement After Dismissal

A student seeking reinstatement is required to

  • Have all official transcripts from previously attended colleges and universities sent to UMGC, preferably before meeting with an academic advisor.

  • Talk with an academic advisor before petitioning for reinstatement.

  • Wait at least one term (fall, spring, summer) before petitioning for reinstatement.

Such an appeal should be made in writing to the UMGC Asia Office of Student Services , with the first step being to talk with your local academic advisor.

After the student's record, the advisor's recommendation, and the student's petition have been reviewed, the student will receive a written response. Reinstated students will be placed on warning immediately or will retain provisional status, as appropriate. Students who have been reinstated may be subject to additional term enrollment limitations during their first term after they return to study. Further information is provided in UMGC policy 158.00 Academic Levels of Progress.

Scholastic Recognition

Dean's List

Students who complete at least 6 credits (in courses graded A, B, C, D or F) with a GPA of at least 3.5 in a term and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 are eligible for the Dean's List.

Students who fail to earn the required average by the end of the term must complete a minimum of 6 more credits during the next term to be considered for the Dean's List again. All courses taken during a term are used in computing the average, even though the total number of credits may exceed 6. A term is designated as fall, summer or spring. Eligibility for the Dean's List is calculated once each term.

Academic Honors

Academic honors for excellence in scholarship are determined by the student's cumulative GPA calculation at UMGC. The distinction of summa cum laude is conferred on those students with a cumulative GPA of 4.000, magna cum laude honors is conferred on those students with a cumulative GPA of 3.901 up to 3.999, and cum laude honors is conferred on those students with a cumulative GPA of 3.800 up to 3.900. To be eligible for any of these categories of recognition, a student must have earned at least 45 credits at UMGC in courses for which a letter grade and quality points were assigned. For honors to be conferred with a second bachelor's degree, the student is required to have a total of 30 credits of new UMGC credit and the requisite GPA.

Additional scholastic recognition can be attained through Honor Societies.


Regular transcript requests may be submitted online through MyUMGC:

Student Center > drop down menu (in Academics box) > Transcript: View Unofficial (free) OR Transcript: Request Official (payment needed)

For additional information, see transcripts or e-mail


A transcript is an official record of a student's work. All academic records are confidential. Therefore, UMGC Asia releases transcripts only upon receiving a signed request from the student or by receiving a request through MyUMGC. (For students who submit requests online, the student's personal identification numbers are considered an official signature.)

Transcript ordering and information can be found on the UMGC web site.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Under the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have the right to inspect and seek correction to their educational records. Requests for such inspection and correction of student records may be made to:

University of Maryland Global Campus Asia
Office of the Sr. Assoc. Registrar
Unit 5060, Box 0100
APO AP 96328-0001

For another person to initiate services for a student, a power of attorney indicating the person's ability to act on the student's behalf is required. In addition, most institutional information concerning students may not be released to third parties without the prior consent of the students themselves. The only student information which may be released without prior consent is directory information: the student's name, primary field of study, dates of attendance, degrees/awards earned, birth date and the previous educational institution most recently attended. This information may be disclosed even in the absence of consent unless the student files written notice within three weeks of the first enrollment of each school year. To prevent automatic disclosure of directory information, this notice must be filed annually to the Registrar within the time allotted above. Students may select which information they wish to release with consent through MyUMGC.

A record of all disclosures of a student's educational record is maintained, except for those made to the student or made at the written request of the student; made to USM instructional or administrative officials, or directory information disclosures.

See Appendix E of the Undergraduate Catalog for additional information about access to and disclosure of student records.

Change of Address or Name

Students who move during the term should not only leave a forwarding address with the postal authorities but should change their address and submit a divisional transfer request through MyUMGC.

Requests for a name change on official records of UMGC must be accompanied by one of the following documents:

  1. Copy of a court order.
  2. Copy of marriage certificate.
  3. Statement from a legal officer certifying the name change.

The request can be made by letter or completion of the demographic information update form. This request should be mailed with the appropriate document to the Office of the Registrar. The request can be made through MyUMGC but must be followed by mailing in the requested documents. To ensure accurate and complete student records, a student must continue to register under his or her former name until the request and documentation have been forwarded and processed.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you're a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
This is a required field.
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.
U.S. Military Affiliation required

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait as we send your request.