The bachelor's degree program in general studies allows you to take an active role in designing your educational experience through a flexible curriculum while maximizing ability to transfer previously earned credit. This personalized learning path, coupled with a focus on your specific interests and areas of study, provides a solid, well-rounded foundation in preparation for a variety of careers.
Students should contact an academic advisor for additional information about this major. Students may not pursue a second bachelor’s degree in general studies.
About the General Studies Bachelor's Degree
A degree with a major in general studies requires the successful completion of 120 credits of coursework, including 30 credits for the major; 41 credits in general education requirements; and 49 credits in the minor, electives, and other degree requirements. Other degree requirements include:
- At least 36 credits in the degree must be completed through upper-level courses (numbered 300-499). These 36 credits may be earned in any combination across major, general education, and elective courses.
- At least 30 credits of coursework must be completed through UMGC coursework. These 30 credits may be earned in any combination across major, general education, and elective courses.
- At least 15 credits in the major must be completed through graded coursework.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Improve oral and written communication skills
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Analyze insights about personal and professional goals
- Apply skills and knowledge from different academic disciplines
- Synthesize concepts and theories in core content courses and focus areas
General Studies Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
- 6 credits from one discipline area (e.g. HRMN)
- 6 credits from a second discipline area (e.g. PSYC)
- 15 credits chosen from any discipline area
- Please note: No more than 15 credits of coursework in a single discipline area may be applied to the major.
- CAPL 495
General Education Requirements
This program requires 41 credits of general education coursework, outlined on our General Education Requirements webpage.
The overall requirements for a bachelor's degree in general studies follow our Bachelor's Degree Requirements with the following exception:
- You must meet the 30-credit requirement for coursework taken at UMGC, but those credits may be earned in any combination across major, general education, and elective courses.
Your plan will be unique and based on your previous education. Please contact an advisor with any questions.