Learn about the requirements you need to complete to earn an undergraduate certificate at UMGC.
In addition to the specific course requirements outlined on each undergraduate certificate webpage, University of Maryland Global Campus maintains certain requirements for all certificates. The requirements that apply to you are those that were in effect when you began continuous enrollment at UMGC.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2022–2023 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
Overall Certificate Requirements
- You must be admitted as a UMGC student.
- You may pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate.
- No more than half of the total credits for any undergraduate certificate may be earned through credit by examination, prior-learning portfolio credit, internship/Workplace Learning credit, or transfer credit from other schools, under current policies for such credit. Additional limitations may apply to specific programs. See individual certificate programs for details.
- You must satisfy all required prerequisites for certificate courses.
- You must complete all required coursework with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all courses.
- Certificate courses may not be taken pass/fail.
- Undergraduate students may only complete certificates at the undergraduate level.
Earning a Second Certificate
If you have already received a certificate from UMGC, you can broaden your education by earning a second certificate in a different discipline. The same requirements detailed above apply for all certificates.
If you have earned a certificate from UMGC and want to pursue an additional certificate at UMGC at the same level, you must complete at least 12 credits of new coursework to be eligible. You may not apply coursework twice (i.e., double count, or repeat courses to fulfill the requirements of the additional credential). On a case-by-case basis, UMGC may consider limited substitutions for coursework that is required for more than one certificate to allow you to complete a second certificate. If this is not possible, you will need to choose an alternate program if you wish to complete another credential at UMGC.
Before beginning work toward or registering for a second certificate, consult an academic advisor. Advisors will be glad to explain the requirements and situations that require department approval.